Hi vegan friends !
Today, I hope i’ll realize the fantasy of plenty of you : a floating island 100% vegetal ! I must admit that I missed this desert quite much, and it made me lose a few dozen of hours in my kitchen, always tempting to cook foams, in the microwave, au bain-marie, in the oven… I think I’ve done the job : here’s the recipe ! 🙂
Oh, you must ask you why this island is from “Chaville”. Actually, it has been invented in this city, near Paris. That’s quite tricky for this small doggy island! (in french, “cha” sounds as “chat”, witch means cat, and “ville”, city) 🙂
So, for 2 to 5 islands (depends on you, I prefer small deserts ^^) :
- 30g (30ml) chikpea’s white
- 30g white sugar
- 2 teaspoon shaved-packed starch (corn, wheat… corn may be a little more bitter)
- 1 teaspoon shaved-packed guar gum (resist acidity from lemon juice)
- A few drops of lemon juice (or cream of tartar)
For the cream :
- 150ml of vegetable milk
- 20g white sugar
- A very big teaspoon of an oilseed’s puree (cashew for me)
- 1 vanilla pod or a few drops of vanilly flavor
- Option : a pinch of turmeric (for the good-looking… and by the way, I find it more tasty ?!!!)
Cream preparation :
- Mix milk, cashew puree and sugar.
- Cook over low heat for ten minutes and then over very low heat (till you got the texture you want)
- Add turmeric (option)
- Place cream in the fridge
Floating island preparation :
- Mix chickpea’s white with starch and guar gum
- Beat the mixture untill stiff. The texture is now as a shaving cream
- When it whitens, add a few drops of lemon juice and sugar
- Beat until mixture becomes as strong as some kind of marshmallow (for convenience, I always withdraw my drummer as beating, and gravity does the rest, otherwise it’s a bit complicated to remove the whipped white!)
- Cut into as many parts as desired Islands
Floating island cooking :
- Microwave: for me, 1000W, 10 seconds max. In fact, simply have a look: when the volume doubles, stop it !
Note: It may be necessary to reduce the starch or use one with a softer taste! (wheat ?)
- Poaching: Prepare a pot of salted water (sea salt for me) and bring to boil. Then add the foam and cook less than 20 seconds on each side. Then place islands on paper towels.
Nota : this is really best poached !
- Oven (?). It is certainly possible to cook the mixture baked in a mold to obtain a precise form, but I’ve never done this! Feel free to leave a comment for this!
Here on the left, a baked island in the microwave, right, poached. Only poached island was treated with turmeric (actualy, seas ^^): admit that it is much more appealing, right?
Extremely complex, the latter operation requires the agility of a cat in heat and a sly ostrich, but also a dressage talent that only master Loyal can lend you, if he does.
OR Quickly, drop islands on seas.
For gourmets, a little caramel will surely be welcome, and for us, gourmands, too late, but it was too good! 🙂